15 December 2015
Over the years we have been seeing in home living magazines like Vogue Living and Home Beautiful a minimal look that is open, de-cluttered space that is organised in a simple yet clever fashion.
This highly desirable look can be a difficult to achieve in reality, particularly if you have a full family with loved toys and trinkets collected over the years. But if you do have the feeling as though you are continually cleaning, and your home is just never really tidy – then it could be time to adopt the minimalist mindset.
Here are 5 quick tips from Sydney's leading custom home builders in North West Sydney, to help you apply a mindset of minimalisation and put it into practice.
1. Start with the end in mind. This is the fun part, think of how you would like to your home to look. Start a pinboard on Pinterest , and collect ideas for each space. Having this clear picture in mind will make it easier to make decisions on what to keep, and what to cull.
2. Have a plan. To make the process easier, give yourself week, or months to go through things in a considered manner. The easiest way is to break things down. Room-by-room is the simplest way to do this, making the project more manageable. Give yourself time to go through each room too.
3. Get help. Do you have a friend who is a super-organiser? Or a sweet child who loves to help? Getting the family involved in the process is an effective way to get things done, and keep yourself sane at the same time.
4. Give or throw things away. Consider each item. Hold it in your hands. Is it something that you need? Are you holding on out of pure sentimental value? Does the item bring you happiness when you see it? Keep what you know you cannot part with, and what also gives your home the look and feel you desire. To declutter means to store, throw or give things away. Br brave. You can’t hold on to everything forever!
5. Smart storage. There are many clever ways that you can store things in your home. We delved into some creative suggestions in a previous article titled 'Storage Secrets For Your Home' Think about the best ways to maximise space in your home, laundry, and kitchen and even under the stairs.
About Chateau Architects and Builders: